"Windows virus" or problems with Docker Toolbox

In this release I have worked on few front-end issues. But before I jump into describing what did I do and what new things I learned I would like to share my "experience" with Docker. Once Telescope launch Elastic search things start to become more and more interesting. 
When I update my master branch I try as usual to run Telescope locally. I did my usual set of commands to run App and to add feeds on the page. 
`npm run develop` in VSCode
`npm start` (this I'll explain later)
After that all problems begin. I realize I'm not the only one who has same problem. 
So what was the problem? Me and my classmates call it "Windows virus".  What are the symptoms ?

1. Your machine has Windows 10 Home Edition version.
2. There are no Linux or Unix install as secondary Operating System on the machine
3. You have no other option but just Docker Toolbox installed.

I heard many times that people complain about the Toolbox and how inconvenience it is, but myself never feel that pressure until recently. 

I can't run Telescope on the local machine, I need to work on the project and I have deadlines. Despite that I still regret to believe that my "Magic Toolbox" will cause me some issues. After few days reading what could be the reason I decide to ask Telescope back-end pro Josue

Likely I did not have just one option to fix my "Magic Toolbox". 

Remedy #1: Get rid of Windows!!! I was suggested to install WSL2 by James. It is take about 12 hours of installation by its worth to wait. Well at least that is what I have been told. 

Remedy #2: To change the IP address in .env file.

I have picked option #2 as it was easier and faster. Why this need to be done. After I update my branch with Telescope , as I have already mention, elastic search has been added. Elastic search is running on the ports 9200 or 9300. As I find out later I already use in some other projects elastic and that's why after command `docker-compose u`  two elasticsearch were created. Is it really a problem that did not allowed elastic to be connected to Telescope? I do not think so. After clearing this issue on local machine I still wasn't able to run Telescope on my local machine. The answer for all this is Docker Toolbox uses  192.168.99.100 as their default IP address. So if I want to change default IP address to my localhost I have to upgrade to Docker for Windows or use VM. So in the end I had to change my localhost to the default host in the .env file. 

This is the end of my interesting journey with Docker Toolbox. 
Before I will end this post I have to share Remedy #3 
Base on your OS Docker Host is different. On Linux its same as the local host on Windows/Mac its  192.168.99.100. To change default setting to the localhost:

Remedy #3 :

-  `docker-machine ip default`
- `docker-machine stop default` - to stop Docker Machine

- Open VirtualBoxManager
- Select Docker Machine VirtualBox image
- Open Settings -> Network -> Advance -> Port Forwarding
- Add App name, desire host port and guest port

-  `docker-machine start default`
- `eval $(docker-machine env default)`.

Reference material:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release 0.6

Hacktoberfest - Issue #1, Pull Request #1

Hacktoberfest